It's a new year and many of us have set intentions to improve our health in 2017. While kick-starting the new year with a cleanse can be great, it's often less dramatic and more effective in the long-run to detox without the deprivation by gently supporting the body's innate ability to detox on its own. Here are 7 natural ways to support the body in detoxification without having to commit to a cleanse:
1. Start the morning with an inner bath - Most people start their day with a shower to clean the outside of their body but don't think about cleaning the inside of their body. When we wake up in the morning we are very dehydrated. Our bodies do a lot of metabolic processes while we sleep and there's a lot of metabolic waste products and toxins that need to be flushed out. Start the morning with 1L of warm water with freshly squeezed lemon juice or 1 drop of lemon essential oil. Not only does this cleanse the body and support the liver, it also helps to increase energy because fatigue is often associated with dehydration. Our bodies are mostly water so when we're dehydrated our circulation decreases and blood gets congested in the body which leads to headaches and low energy. Set the day up for success with more energy and clarity by hydrating first thing in the morning.
2. Boost your circulation with hot and cold water therapy - In the shower, alternate between hot and cold water to increase circulation. Cold water constricts blood vessels and hot water dilates them. Alternating between the two provide a pumping action which improves circulation, gives more oxygen and nutrients to the cells, and increases energy. Alternate between hot and cold 7 times.
3. Dry skin brush - This is incredible for increasing the circulation of the lymphatic system. The lymphatic system is the body's immune system and it's located at the base of the skin. Brushing upward strokes toward the heart flushes the lymph to help with detoxification and improved immunity. Do this once a day for a few minutes before a shower, especially around areas of the body with cellulite to help remove stored toxins.
4. Tongue scrape - This is something I personally cannot live without. The mouth collects so much bacteria and when we swallow it, it is a burden on the body. Tongue scraping relieves the burden on the body and helps with detoxification. Before brushing teeth, scrape the tongue using Dr. Tung's tongue scraper with a few strokes. It's fascinating to see what comes off. Brushing the tongue with a toothbrush just moves things around whereas tongue scraping actually removes the bacteria and toxins. This technique also helps fine tune the tastebuds over time. Sweet things will taste sweeter and salty things will taste saltier which can help decrease cravings and minimize over-eating.
5. Soak in a clay bath - This is a very simple and relaxing way to detox. Use 1/2 cup of bentonite clay in a bath and soak for 20 minutes. The clay will draw toxins out of the skin. It also contains a number of minerals such as calcium, magnesium, and silica which can provide many benefits for the skin.
6. Drink a detoxifying tea - Ingredients like ginger, turmeric, and burdock root are wonderful to add to hot water or your favourite tea to decrease inflammation and support the liver.
7. Use an infrared sauna - I have completely fallen in love with how my body feels after being in an infrared sauna. Enjoy some self-care time sitting in an infrared sauna or attend a yoga class at an infrared yoga studio. My personal favourite is Oxygen Yoga and Fitness.
Now I’d love to hear from you. Have you tried incorporating these natural detox tips in your daily routine? What have you noticed? Share and let me know!